OPINION: The NFL Playoffs are down to the reigning champs and three worthy contenders

spsnp011921-jpg

The Kansas City Chiefs, led by quarterback Patrick Mahomes, are back in the NFL’s AFC championship game this season following their Super Bowl win last year. The other three teams who qualified for the conference championship games this weekend are making their long-awaited return to the big stage.

The Buffalo Bills have not made a conference championship game since they beat the Chiefs in the 1994 AFC Championship game. Tampa Bay was last in the NFC championship game in 2002 under then-head coach Jon Gruden, who led them to a Super Bowl win that season. Green Bay has been in the NFC championship twice in the past five years, but last won a Super Bowl in 2010.

All four teams showed that they deserve a spot in the championship games this weekend after convincing wins in last weekend’s Divisional round of the playoffs.

NFC:

Los Angeles Rams vs. Green Bay Packers 

Final Score: 32-18 Packers

This game showcased the NFL’s No.1 offense in Green Bay against the No.1 defense in Los Angeles. The Packers' offense has been unstoppable, leading the NFL in points per game behind quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ NFL-high 50 touchdowns. The Rams failed to stop them while giving up nearly 500 yards from a balanced attack of rushing and passing, putting the Rams offense in the unfamiliar territory of playing from behind. Defense wins championships, but not the divisional round. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. New Orleans Saints

Final Score: 30-20 Buccaneers

The end of an era has finally arrived. The two oldest quarterbacks in the league faced off for possibly one final battle as reports say Saints quarterback Drew Brees is considering retirement this offseason. 

After falling to the Saints twice in the regular season, quarterback Tom Brady led his new team to a convincing victory. The Buccaneers defense held the Saints’ No. 1 weapon wide receiver Michael Thomas to zero catches and forced four turnovers. Brady, 43,will take on another future Hall of Famer in Aaron Rodgers next week as he goes for his tenth Super Bowl appearance. 

AFC:

Baltimore Ravens vs. Buffalo Bills

Final Score: 17-3 Bills

The box score was the only thing in favor of the Ravens on Saturday. Despite having more passing yards, rushing yards, first downs, and a much higher third-down conversion rate, the Ravens failed to score a single touchdown. Baltimore was plagued by multiple missed field goals from Justin Tucker, an all-time great kicker, and a concussion to its star quarterback Lamar Jackson in the second half. The quarterback Josh Allen and wide receiver Stefon Diggs’ connection was the only game plan for the Bills, meaning the running backs carried the ball just nine times for 29 yards. Without a 102 yard interception for a touchdown by [position] Taron Johnson, the game could’ve been much different for the Bills. They’ll need to play much more balanced and efficiently on the road in Kansas City if they want to advance to their first Super Bowl since 1994.

Cleveland Browns vs. Kansas City Chiefs 

Final Score: 22-17 Chiefs

Although the score was close, the box score was dominated by the Chiefs. A concussion suffered by quarterback Patrick Mahomes opened the door for a late comeback effort by the Browns, but Cleveland was shutout in the last minutes of the game. Cleveland’s offense couldn’t do anything effectively, while Kansas City tight end Travis Kelce and wide receiver Tyreek Hill tormented their defense. Cleveland’s saving grace was holding the Chiefs to field goals and causing a late interception from Kansas City’s backup quarterback Chad Henne. In the end, it was too little too late, and the Chiefs now pray Mahomes can return to face Buffalo next Sunday. 

The NFL is a quarterback-driven league. The playoffs once again proved this as four top-ten quarterbacks are in the conference championship games. Expect the final three games to be shootouts led by two of the greatest from the old generation and two of the greatest from the upcoming generation.