arts music

The IDS staff presents: Your 2021 motivation playlist

entplaylist011021

Anyone else feel like they just narrowly escaped from a crumbling, on-fire building?

We’re relieved that 2020 is over. It was miserable. We don’t have to get into it.

But at the same time, it’s hard to shake the daunting feeling that there’s still so much to do. The building burned down, and now we all have to immediately start laying bricks to piece it back together. We have a lot to recover from, and none of it is made easier by the fact that there’s still a lot more that could go wrong — the attacks on the Capitol are more than enough proof of that.

Still, I have faith in us. The universe owes us a good year, so let’s do our best to actualize it. To anyone who leaned on music as a source of comfort in 2020, let these songs, selected for you by IDS staff members, be a source of inspiration and motivation in 2021.

Treat People With Kindness - Harry Styles

"If you know me, this one’s no surprise! I love Harry Styles’ music and the message of TPWK is something we should all carry into 2021." - Caroline Anders, co-editor-in-chief

Catalina Fight Song - Joyce Manor

“It rips so hard and makes me want to fight the sun.” - Kevin Chrisco, arts editor

Don’t Let the Good Life Pass You By - Cass Elliot

“The reason I like this song is because it’s a good reminder to not take the little things for granted, especially during a time where day to day life looks different.” - Mallorey Danhauer, photo editor

"All My Best Friends Are Metalheads" - Less Than Jake

“I remember when (my older sister) would listen to Less Than Jake when I was a kid, and she even saw them live, so along with just being a great song it has some fond memories attached to it.” - Luke Christopher Norton, sports editor

Don’t Stop Me Now - Queen

“‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ is about being on a roll and feeling like you can do anything. It’s a song that lends itself to being played loud and hyping yourself up to. I think it’s a good song to start the new year to!” - Kaity Radde, enterprise editor

i - Kendrick Lamar 

“I love this song because the lyrics uplift me and discuss confronting your fears head on, having self confidence and not caring about what others think. Also, for the beat the song samples an Isley Brothers track that I love and the way Kendrick seamlessly switches up his flows is so impressive and motivating.” - Joe Schroeder, photo editor

Underdog - Alicia Keys

“This song motivates me to try my hardest while also realizing to be considerate of those around me and listen to their stories.” - Izzy Myszak, general assignments editor

Tough to Be a Dreamer - Felix Hagan & the Family

“This song, to me, is all about not knowing where your life is going, but living in the moment until you figure it out. I love it because, as a college student, it’s nice to be reminded that I don’t have to know exactly where I’m going yet!” - Abby Carmichael, design editor

I Wanna Dance with Somebody - Whitney Houston

“This song is just unbeatable. It radiates joy, something we need a lot more of this year. Dancing can’t exactly fix any of our problems for us, but I’m a firm believer that it can make any situation just a little bit better.” - Hannah Dailey, arts editor