Old Oaken Bucket game canceled for second straight week due to COVID-19 cases within IU and Purdue football programs

Purdue cancelation.jpeg

IU’s game against Purdue has been canceled for the second week in a row due to positive COVID-19 tests within both the IU and Purdue football programs.

“Upon the advice of our medical professionals and in following the guidelines and protocols established for this season, we are not able to play Friday," said IU athletic director Scott Dolson and Purdue athletic director Mike Bobinski in a joint statement. "As we stated last week, we know the history and tradition of this great rivalry game and how much it means to our current students, alumni and fans. Both universities worked extremely hard in an effort to play, but at this time it just isn't possible. We are certainly disappointed that we cannot play in 2020, but look forward to seeing each other on the field next season and competing once again for the Old Oaken Bucket."

With the cancellation, this season will be the first year IU and Purdue have not played each other since 1919. The two teams have played in 96 consecutive games since the Old Oaken Bucket trophy was adopted. They also played five consecutive games before the trophy was created.

Purdue leads the overall series, 74-42-6. IU won the Bucket last season 44-41 in double overtime.