sports volleyball

IU volleyball releases schedule for spring season

The Hoosiers celebrate a point Nov. 24, 2019, Wilkinson Hall, Bloomington IN, against Michigan State. The team finalized its 2021 schedule on Dec. 30 and will have its first match on Jan. 22 against Nebraska.

The final schedule for IU volleyball sets the team up to open its season hosting Nebraska at Wilkinson Hall Jan. 22. This home series is one of five, with others against Wisconsin, Maryland, Northwestern and Ohio State.

The Hoosiers will have five series on the road against Rutgers, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan and Illinois. Each series will consist of two matches. The travel schedule allows the team to play at home almost every other series.

The season also contains one split series against Purdue: the Hoosiers will host on Feb. 23 and travel to West Lafayette on Feb. 27 for a second match.

Indiana will not face Minnesota or Michigan State in the regular season, teams which finished third and ninth in the conference, respectively, in the 2019 season. 

“We are certainly excited to see the schedule and begin our preparations,” head coach Steve Aird said in a press release. “Our program is built on gratitude and so we are grateful for the opportunity.”

In accordance with IU Athletics’ protocols to protect student-athletes, coaches, fans and the community amid the COVID-19 pandemic, matches at Wilkinson Hall will be played without fans indefinitely. The only spectators at Big Ten volleyball matches will be immediate family of student-athletes, members of the coaching staff and volleyball personnel.

The Big Ten regular season will take place from Jan. 22 to April 3. Selections for the 48-team NCAA Tournament bracket will be announced April 4, and the tournament’s semifinals and final will be April 22-24 in Omaha.

The Hoosiers will face Ohio State at home April 2-3, less than a week before the NCAA Tournament begins on April 8.

“This has been a hard year for so many,” Aird said. “My hope is we learn, grow, compete like crazy and give our school and state something to be proud of."

Match times have yet to be determined and the Hoosiers’ full schedule can be found on the IU Athletics website.