crime & courts

Man threatening himself and others with knife in Walmart Sunday taken to hospital

A man threatened himself and others with a large knife in Walmart around 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Dana Cole said.

The 33-year-old man allegedly told Monroe County deputies he wouldn’t leave the store without stabbing someone. A family member of the man called police saying their relative was experiencing a mental health issue, Cole said. Monroe County Sheriff's Department originally responded and then called BPD for assistance.   

The man was holding the knife to his own throat in the sporting goods section of the store when BPD officers arrived. When the man refused to drop the knife, BPD officers shot him in the leg with bean bag rounds, a type of less-lethal weapon. A Monroe County deputy then tased the man, who fell and was put in handcuffs, Cole said.

He was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and for mental illness, Cole said.

If you or someone you know is experiencing depression or suicidal thoughts, there are resources to help. IU Counseling and Psychological Services is on the fourth floor of the IU Health Center and offers help with stress management, anxiety, depression and more. To set up an appointment, go here. In an emergency, call 812-855-5711, which is available 24/7. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.