politics

Justice Amy Coney Barrett confirmed for Supreme Court

BARRETT

Amy Coney Barrett, a former circuit judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals, was confirmed Monday night as a justice for the Supreme Court in a 52-48 vote. 

All Democratic senators voted against Barrett’s confirmation. Sen. Susan Collins of Maine was the only Republican to vote against the confirmation.

Barrett is the third Supreme Court justice President Donald Trump has appointed. She will be the 115th Supreme Court justice and the fifth woman to sit on the Supreme Court.

Barrett was sworn in by Justice Clarence Thomas Monday night at an outdoor White House ceremony. She is replacing Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died on Sept. 18, 2020.

Barrett’s nomination moved past the Senate after a vote to end the filibuster Sunday. The vote was 51-48, with two Republicans, Sens. Collins and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, voting with Democrats.

The nomination was controversial since former President Barack Obama was not able to fill a spot on the Supreme Court nine months before the 2016 election he left office after Justice Anontin Scalia died Feb. 13, 2016. Trump filled Scalia’s seat with current Justice Neil Gorsuch the April after he was inaugurated. 

Barrett was confirmed eight days before Election Day.

During confirmation hearings, Barrett repeatedly declined to answer questions regarding controversial topics the Supreme Court could rule on, from the Affordable Care Act to Roe v. Wade. However, Barrett has said her judicial philosophy is similar to Scalia's, who was known for his conservative views.

This story was updated at 9:22 p.m. Monday to include information about her swearing in.