IU professors to lead panel discussion on intersectionality in the women's suffrage movement

entsuffrage100520.jpg

Women in Government at IU organizing a virtual panel discussion at 7 p.m. Monday for a conversation about the history of women’s suffrage in America, according to the IU events calendar. 

The panel, titled “The Women’s Suffrage Movement: A Look into the Racism that Taints Its 100 Year Legacy,” will examine the ways in which many women of color were left out of the fight for women’s suffrage. Looking further into issues of intersectionality within the movement, the panel will discuss how the history of women voters is discussed and reframe the conversation toward those who have been overlooked previously, according to the IU events calendar. 

Panelists for the discussion will include Colin Johnson, a gender studies professor, Liza Black, a professor in the Department of History and Native American and Indigenous Studies, Carolyn Calloway-Thomas, chair of the Department of African American and African Diaspora Studies and Janine Giordano Drake, a history professor. 

The panel, which will ultimately seek to answer whether or not the 19th Amendment should still be seen as a cause for celebration, will be held virtually and is free for all who register for a spot online

A second, similar discussion, “The Unfinished Fight for Voting Rights: Modern Day Voter Suppression,” will be held Oct. 12.