Black Voices

Black Voices: Mariame's Voice

bvprofile102020.png

Mariame Sow is an IU junior majoring in law and public policy and nonprofit management. She believes that her civic duty is to actively participate and engage in the community. Sow dedicates most of her time at IU fighting for the equality of Black students. 

“There’s no doubt that IU fosters an environment of white privilege and fragility. Finding an organization or place on campus that makes you feel safe is important because they will make your experience at IU memorable,” Sow said.

Sow is the co-president of IU NAACP and the philanthropy chairman of African Student Association (ASA).  IU NAACP allows her to advocate for human rights of Black students at IU and in the community of Bloomington. She takes great pride in being a part of IU NAACP because they have a rich history of fighting for civil rights we have today. 

Mariame Sow uses her voice to advocate for Black people globally.

Sow said ASA keeps her whole and is her home at IU. This organization reminds her of the purpose behind the sacrifices her immigrant parents made to give her a good life. 

“ASA is the aspect of IU where I feel the most welcomed,” Sow said. “My heritage as an African woman has kept me motivated to keep going as a first generation American and college graduate.

With a partnership with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., ASA raised more than $4,000 for nonprofit Lend A Hand Relief Project which is based in Guinea, Sow’s home country. Projects like this are why she loves serving on the ASA executive board; it allows her to give back to her roots.

"My rich culture has kept me together, motivated and strong through my journey,” she said.