Associate professor Murray McGibbon resigns following IDS investigation into sexual harassment allegations

Breaking News Filler

Associate professor Murray McGibbon has left IU effective immediately, spokesperson Chuck Carney confirmed in an email Friday.

The Indiana Daily Student published years of sexual harassment allegations against McGibbon on Monday. He has taught at IU since 1996 and taught 33 students in three acting and directing classes this semester.

IU's Office of Institutional Equity "received new allegations and began a new investigation, placing the faculty member on administrative leave," Carney said in an email.

McGibbon decided to leave IU following those new allegations, Carney said.

"We appreciate our students both current and past bringing forward new information. Indiana University takes very seriously any and all reports of sexual misconduct, including harassment and discrimination, and we continue to respond promptly and appropriately when such misconduct is brought to our attention," Carney's email said. "IU imposed several disciplinary sanctions on the faculty member deemed appropriate based on the information known at the time. With the faculty member’s departure from the university, the formal investigation is closed but the Office of Institutional Equity will continue to look into and respond to allegations brought to our attention."