IU Athletics makes Election Day mandatory day off

spvote091720.jpg

IU Athletics announced Thursday that Nov. 3 will be a mandatory day off from all athletic activities so student-athletes can vote in the upcoming election. This decision is one in a series of steps athletic director Scott Dolson and his predecessor Fred Glass outlined in an email to student-athletes and staff on June 8, to find and implement ways combating racism and secure racial justice and equality.

“This measure is part of our efforts to support our students and make sure that their voices are heard,” Dolson said in a statement. “There is no more important civic responsibility than participating in the electoral process, and this will aid not only our students’ opportunity to vote but our staff as well.”

In addition to the day off, the department will be offering student-athletes programming to encourage a better understanding of the importance of voting and to be informed on issues. In the program, student-athletes will learn how to get information on and evaluate officeholders and candidates and how to register to vote, according to the release.

The announcement comes a day after the NCAA approved civic engagement legislation encouraging universities to make Election Day a mandatory day off.