Black Voices

Black Voices: Xakilah's Voice

bvprofile090720.PNG
Senior Xakilah Daniel uses her voice by advocating for marginalized populations.

Xakilah Daniel is an IU senior studying studio arts and is an active member in the Black community. Xakilah advocates for men and women by standing up and speaking out against social injustice and inequality. Daniel has participated in rallies and protests to fight against police brutality and sexual assault.

Her voice is her superpower. 

“Be brave and courageous," she said. "Be resilient and proactive. You are important and intelligent. Let your story be heard and let your light shine."

During her time at IU, Daniel has remained an active student and activist. She participated in the Miss Black and Gold Pageant, a scholarship opportunity for young Black women who serve as role models in their community. Daniel is an active member in the Black & BOLD organization which provides a safe haven for students who identify as Black and part of the LGBTQ+ community.

She is also artistic and held an apprenticeship in tattooing at Cry Babies Electric Tattooing, a Black-owned tattoo shop in Bloomington.

“I spend a lot of my time in my studio painting, shooting and perfecting my art,” she said.

Now a senior, Daniel believes it's important for Black freshmen to put themselves out there and not be afraid to try new things.

“Do not procrastinate," she said. "It’s better to do things little by little then all at once at the last minute. Be an opportunist, choose yourself and invest in yourself. Be open to new experiences, customs, cultures and lifestyles.”