IU emails reiterate COVID-19 rules for students, say testing is 'in line with expectations'

Around 1% of the 8,000 students tested before living on campus have tested positive for coronavirus, according to an email from the Office of the Provost. Another email detailed swift action taken with students who do not follow the safety guidelines for COVID-19.

This comes after Notre Dame has decided to hold classes online for two weeks, citing off-campus events which caused a spike in cases. 

The email encouraged student honesty when working with contact tracers and following university rules and said some students have already been sent home for not being truthful or following rules. 

The email also encouraged student safety with recommendations to avoid all parties and to assume that every person students interact with is infectious, citing the choice of other schools such as the University of North Carolina to switch to online classes. 

The results taken from almost 6,000 off-campus students in Bloomington have yielded a positivity rate that is “in line with IU’s expectations,” the email said.

IU will test all students before the start of classes and will continue testing during the semester, the email said.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments