coronavirus

IU reports less than 1% COVID-19 test positivity rate across four campuses

oncampus2 (1).jpg

IU reported Tuesday a 0.91% positivity rate of more than 30,000 students tested for COVID-19 on arrival across the IU-Bloomington, IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, IU-South Bend and IU-Southeast New Albany campuses.

The Bloomington campus reported Wednesday that of 8,000 on-arrival tests, roughly 1% came back positive.

According to the press release, 39,246 total tests have been administered, but only 32,002 have been processed so far, leaving more than 7,000 students without a test result as on-campus classes began Monday.

IU announced plans to release a public dashboard for testing data similar to what the University of Notre Dame has used. That dashboard has not yet been released. 

The school is now transitioning to conduct more than 10,000 weekly tests of students, faculty and staff. Test subjects have been selected randomly beginning this week. Those selected will receive an email. IU plans to test people multiple times throughout the semester. 

"We're confident that the round-the-clock mitigation testing that we are now initiating -- which too few organizations our size have the ability or willingness to manage — along with symptomatic testing and robust contact tracing and isolation, gives us the best chance to keep us all together on our campuses," Dr. Aaron Carroll, IU's director of surveillance and mitigation for the COVID-19 pandemic, said in the release.