crime & courts black lives matter protests

Police have not yet found driver who hit protesters due to invalid address on registration

caprotest070620_7.jpg

Police discovered the car that hit two protesters Monday night has an address on its registration that is no longer valid, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo said.The police have not been able to locate the driver or vehicle.

Pedigo said it is also unknown if the car is registered under the name of the woman who was driving the car Monday. Photos and videos captured the license plate number of the 2015 red Toyota Corolla that a woman drove at a high speed through protesters just before 9:30 p.m. Monday on Walnut Street according to a police report. Two protesters were forced onto the hood and both were flung off when the car turned sharply.

Bloomington resident Chaz Mottinger, the woman knocked onto the hood of the car, was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and later posted on social media she was OK. Her GoFundMe page states that she has a concussion. Geoff Stewart, the other protester , suffered from abrasions on his arms and did not need medical help.

There was a man in the passenger seat of the car who got out to move an electric scooter out of the way before the car accelerated down the street. According to a police report, investigators are working to figure out the identities and location of the man and woman in the car.

The city sent out a press release about the incident Tuesday, saying BPD is investigating the people in the car.

"The BPD is proceeding as swiftly as possible to ensure that a thorough investigation is completed and presented to the Monroe County Prosecutor's Office so a determination can be made regarding the appropriate criminal charges to be filed," the press release said.

The city urged residents to report anything they know to BPD. Call 812-339-4477 to make a report.