sports wrestling

IU wrestling brings in Bucknell transfer Garrett Hoffman

spiuwrhoffman060920.jpg

Graduate transfer Garrett Hoffman announced last week he will be joining the IU wrestling program.

The 285-pound Hoffman spent four years at Bucknell University before deciding to make the move to Bloomington.

“Excited to start this next chapter as a Hoosier!” Hoffman said in a tweet.

As a freshman at Bucknell, Hoffman recorded a 18-16 overall clip at 184 pounds and qualified for the NCAA championships. He was named the team’s Freshman of the Year.

In his sophomore year, Hoffman bumped up to the 197-pound weight class and opened the season with a 10-6 record. In January of that year, Hoffman suffered a dislocated knee, tearing multiple ligaments in a season-ending injury.

Hoffman was forced to undergo surgery that, at the time, his doctor said could've been career-ending. He missed his whole junior campaign as a result, but was still a team captain.

Almost two years after his injury, Hoffman returned to the mat last season at 285 pounds. He won his only appearance for a 10-6 Bucknell squad.

Last year, sophomore Rudy Streck started for the Hoosiers at 285 pounds. Streck notched only three wins in 19 matches. Recent graduate Jake Kleimola, whose natural weight class was 197 pounds, wrestled up in weight to 285 pounds at times to spell Streck.

Hoffman will provide maturity and stability to a heavyweight group that struggled for the Hoosiers last year.

As a team last year, IU posted a 2-10 overall record and 1-8 conference mark. The Hoosiers sent then-junior Liam Cronin and then-redshirt freshman Graham Rooks to the NCAA Championships before the event was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. Cronin transferred to Nebraska in the off-season.