administration education

IU tuition to increase again as planned; fall class statuses to be available by July 15

news filler.jpg

An email was sent to staff, faculty and students last week updating the IU community about tuition increases that will continue this year as decided last year, fall class statuses and the commitment everyone must sign before returning to campus in the fall.

In-state tuition will be raised by 2.5% across all IU campuses this year as it was last year, according to an administration statement. Out-of-state tuition will be raised by 3% again as well.

According to a letter from IU CFO John Sejdinaj in 2019, tuition is IU’s largest source of revenue, which wasn’t always the case. He said in 2002, the state provided more of IU’s funding than tuition did. Over the years, the state government has shifted its focus to K-12 education, Medicaid, Department of Family and Child Services and other programs and put less money toward state universities.

Sejdinaj said IU Bloomington will still be in the cheaper half of the Big 10 research universities even with the increases to tuition.

The email provided a small update on fall classes. By July 15, all class statuses will be updated, and students will be able to see whether their classes are in-person or online.

The email also included a link to sign the Community Responsibility Acknowledgement, a commitment that IU will require students, staff and faculty to sign before returning to campus in the fall. 

It includes the commitment to monitor your health by taking your temperature every day, regardless of whether you’re sick or not, staying home if you’re sick, getting tested and cooperating with county health officials in contact tracing if you have COVID-19 symptoms, following all on-campus health guidelines and knowing your own risks based on your own health conditions. 

The form asks students, staff and faculty to mark whether they have any underlying conditions that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has identified as making a person more susceptible to COVID-19, including being over 65. 

If an individual marks yes, accommodations can be made under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The form says an ADA accommodations representative will be in contact with individuals who need accommodations. The form also has an option to not disclose whether an individual has underlying health conditions.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this story, the two-year tuition increases were falsely said to have started this year instead of last year. IDS regrets this error.