opinion letters

LETTER: Remember the Kent State shooting and student protests, 50 years later

letter to the editor-03.png

As a former Indiana Daily Student staff member who worked during the tumult of May 4, 1970, I was outraged at the recent decision made by Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine to cancel all commemorative events honoring the memory of the Kent State University students who were killed fifty years ago.

Though many may not be aware — or may not see the importance of these events — to those of us who walked to class on campuses like Kent State’s, this was a life-changing event. Just a six-hour drive from Bloomington, four students were shot and killed while protesting our country’s ongoing commitment to the Vietnam War.

Needless to say, the resulting repercussions on the Bloomington campus were numerous. From the campus candlelight moratorium to the all-campus rally in Dunn Meadow to show support for the fallen Kent State students, IU students were painfully aware of the events in Vietnam and in Kent, Ohio.

In lieu of the COVID-19 crisis, I understand the need to limit public gatherings, but some form of recognition should be put into place, not only to honor those four fallen students, but to provide an outlet to those who “were there” in other ways.

Simply canceling without providing a release for the outrage at that epoch-altering moment is short-sighted at best. I’m sure DeWine will see the result of his decision in any future electoral options, but until then we all need to remember Allison, Jeffrey, Sandy and Bill.

Thank you for sharing my feelings about this important moment.

I wasn't in that parking lot, but somehow, I'm still there...

...the bloodstains on that pavement hued the hatred of our youth—

When those echoing guardsmen's rifles killed our last ideals of truth.

Lawrence Morwick

IU Class of 1972, former IDS staff member