news   |   student life   |   coronavirus

Summer classes to be online, summer events canceled

casummeronline032620

Assistant professor John Velez answers questions and teaches his class March 12 over Twitch, a live streaming platform for gamers. IU announced in an email from Provost Lauren Robel on Thursday that summer courses will be taught online as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Claire Livingston

IU summer classes will be online, according to an email from IU Provost Lauren Robel on Thursday.

Summer credits include clinical placements, internships and other courses. In the email, Robel said she recommends students contact deans and individual academic units for additional guidance on how to move forward with summer classes.

On- and off-campus IU events and programs slated for the summer session will also be canceled or shifted online when possible, according to the email.

IU announced Monday that summer study abroad programs are canceled.

In the email, Robel stressed the importance of staying home to flatten the curve of coronavirus cases.

“It is easy to make exceptions for ourselves, but doing so puts others at risk,” she said in the email. “Let’s be hard on ourselves instead, and save lives by following this extraordinary order in an extraordinary time.”

Although all campus buildings, fitness centers and restaurants are closed until at least April 7, limited access to computer labs in the Indiana Memorial Union will be given to students, according to the email.

IU is also offering free Wi-Fi 24 hours a day at all campus locations, according to the email. Wi-Fi will be available for all IU students, faculty and staff, as well as K-12 students and members of the public who need it.

The provost also announced IU has adopted the option of the S grade. The S, which stands for "satisfactory," can be used when an instructor knows a student has passed a course but doesn't have enough information to provide the student with a grade, according to the email. The instructor must consult with the academic associate dean for permission to provide S grades.

“Keep your hope alive, dear students,” Robel said in the email. “We’ll stay connected through all of this, and in ways as yet mysterious and unseen, come out the other side stronger for it.”

More in News