What is the history behind IU’s outdoor statues and art?

source_3.JPG

It's not unusual to see people posing for pictures in front of iconic campus landmarks. These five are just a few of the most popular outdoor art instillations people visiting the campus can see. 

'The Birth of Venus'

“The Birth of Venus” at Showalter Fountain is located in the center of the Fine Arts Plaza on campus.

The statue was designed by IU fine arts professor Robert Laurent and dedicated Oct. 22, 1961. It depicts the Roman goddess Venus rising from the waves on a shell surrounded by five fish. 

The statue and fountain have been the subject of many prankssuch as how some fish disappeared over the years. According to the Indiana Daily Student, students were suspended in 1962 for swimming in the fountain. Now, many students will take a dip in the water during their time at IU. 

“It’s the icon of the university,” said Sherry Rouse, IU campus art curator. “It’s what the people think of when they think of this university.”

'Peau Rouge Indiana'

“Peau Rouge Indiana” is one of IU’s most important sculptures on campus, Rouse said. The sculpture was created by Alexander Calder for the Jacobs School of Music’s Musical Arts Center in the 1970s and is located in front of the center on Jordan Avenue.

The huge red sculpture is much like Calder’s other works but was specially made to sit in front of the MAC.

It was his last site-specific work before his death, Rouse said. 

Herman B Wells

The sculpture, by Harold Langland, is located near the Sample Gates and was unveiled in October 2000 as a tribute to Wells’ legacy. Wells was IU’s 11th president and held that office 1938-1962. 

The statue portrays Wells sitting on a park bench, hat in hand, with his other hand outstretched. It is tradition for IU students to sit with Wells and shake his hand. 

Langland’s sculpture has an interesting detail engraved under the brim of Wells’ hat. It reads “IU vs Minnesota Oct 21 2000.” Langland’s alma mater was the University of Minnesota and the statue was revealed the same day as the Homecoming game between IU and Minnesota.  

'The Space Between: Adam and Eve'

“The Space Between: Adam and Eve” is a statue that was cast by IU professor Jean-Paul Darriau in the 1960s. The bronze statue is located between Lindley Hall and Dunn's Woods and represents Adam and Eve. 

It shows nude versions of Adam and Eve reaching out to one another and is meant to illustrate how men and women are different but are brought together by love. It is molded after Darriau’s children, according to a 2018 IDS article. 

The sculpture was destroyed in 2011 after a storm shifted the direction their pedestals faced and had to be repaired. The statues were restored in 2012, according to IU archives.

Adam and Eve can also be found by the Smith Research Center off campus and in the Arboretum. The one in the Arboretum was created by Anthony Droege.

'Indiana Arc' 

The "Indiana Arc” by Charles Perry is a red arc that sits in front of the Eskenazi Museum of Art. The sculpture is meant to honor IU’s 15th president Thomas Ehrlich, and was dedicated to the university in 1995.

At night, the arc is lit up by bright, colorful lights, and when people stand at opposite ends of the arc they are able to hear each other, even when whispering.