bloomington

Mayor Hamilton highlights census, sustainability in Bloomington State of the City address

mayorhamilton022020_1.jpg

Mayor John Hamilton discussed community concerns such as climate change and sustainability as well as his proposed tax increase in his fifth annual State of the City address Thursday in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Census participation

Hamilton opened the event by talking about the importance of participating in the census. All households should receive census information and forms by April 1. Required every 10 years, the census affects access to public funds and voting power by determining how many seats a state has in the House. If one in 300 people are missed, then about $1 million is lost in government aid, Hamilton said. 

Hamilton urged all residents, including those who are undocumented or immigrants, to participate. He said the information is confidential and the government can’t retaliate against someone for their answers. 

“Every one of us in Bloomington has a story,” Hamilton said. “Everyone counts.”

Climate change

Indiana is expected to have a 5-6 degree temperature increase in the next 30 years, Hamilton said. He said Bloomington needs serious action on climate change. He said he admired the climate activists who stormed Bloomington City Hall last year and said all young people deserve better action against climate change. 

“Our planet is in trouble,” Hamilton said. 

The city created a sustainability plan, first adopted in 2018 with multiple progress reports, and is working on crafting better public transportation. The city won an award last year from the Indiana Department of Environmental Management for the plan. Hamilton said Bloomington’s carbon footprint is higher than the national average but lower than Indiana’s carbon footprint overall. 

Improving public transportation and energy efficiency is just one way to combat climate change. Hamilton said he would like to see Bloomington strive for goals that may be out of reach but not impossible, such as drastically reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

“Lowering our carbon footprint is half of the battle,” Hamilton said. 

Hamilton also brought up the income tax increase he proposed at the beginning of the year. He said the funds from the tax should focus on sustainability goals such as improving access to affordable housing and local food networks. He said Bloomington has the lowest income tax rate of all bordering counties, and if passed, it would be the third lowest. 

It would cost $50 for $10,000 of taxable income, Hamilton said. He asked residents to consider the tax as an investment, not a cost.

Social issues

Hamilton said the city has to confront its racist history. Spurred by the continuing farmers’ market controversy, he said no one should be made to feel unsafe in the community. 

“We know Bloomington today carries legacies of racism and class division,” Hamilton. “We must address these legacies.”

Hamilton said community members should work toward making Bloomington the inclusive place they want. The city has a reputation of being a progressive city in a conservative state. He said the city has to improve instead of coasting on that reputation.

Aside from inclusivity,Hamilton talked about other efforts combating social issues such as homelessness and access to affordable housing. He referenced various community resources such as Shalom Community Center and Bloomington Housing Authority.