COLUMN: I'm a former Belieber. “Changes” betrayed me.

entJBalbumcover022020.jpg

Seven years ago, I used binoculars to watch Justin Bieber sing “Baby” from the nosebleeds at Bankers Life Fieldhouse during his Believe Tour. That song is unforgettable–if asked, I could still probably play it on the flute, which I performed for my band class in fifth grade.

Justin was my idol. At the time, I was proud to tell everyone about my obsession. But with the release of “Changes,” Justin Bieber's fifth studio album, it’s embarrassing to think someone could hear me listening to “Yummy” through my earbuds or the walls of my dorm room. And it’s second-hand embarrassing to think the album is dedicated to his wife of almost two years, Hailey Bieber, formerly Hailey Baldwin.

The lyrics of the songs are generic, making it seem like he barely knows Hailey personally. In “Get Me,” featuring Kehlani, he sings “Oh you don’t compare, don’t fit in with ‘em, do you get me?”

I want to scream “No!” on Hailey’s behalf. What specifically makes her incomparable? Who does she not fit in with? Why does she make him “low-key nervous?” 

Perhaps his song “Intentions” helps answer these questions. He sings “Picture-perfect, you don’t need no filter,” admiring her beauty. Hailey has had a longtime modeling career, shooting for Guess and Vogue. Throughout the song, Justin highlights Hailey’s physical features, mentioning little about her internal qualities and personality. 

In an unsettling turn, he sings “Stay in the kitchen, cooking up, cut your own bread / heart full of equity you’re an asset.” Pardon? Hailey has been working on her career for the past 10 years, and Justin shouldn't tell her where she belongs. Unless she has an affinity for cooking, I don’t know why it would be relevant to create this image of domesticity in a song about Justin giving her attention. 

Calling Hailey an “asset” is like saying Justin owns her. Using a business metaphor to explain the financial value in marrying Hailey is a sad way to quantify the value of being married to someone he claims to love.

He mentions that his love interest has a personality in the song “Running Over” featuring Lil Dicky.

"You made me laugh," he sang.

In “That’s What Love Is,” he says that Hailey’s greatness makes him look even better. He says nobody else deserves his time or his eyes, and continues to list the services that Hailey provides for him. 

It’s hard to find a line that explains what Justin does for Hailey. 

The song “E.T.A.” made me think of Justin pouting alone at home, desperately thinking about Hailey so that he doesn’t “go looney” over her. I’m disgusted. Again, “E.T.A.” is a song about the services that Hailey can provide to satisfy Justin. 

Aside from the half-baked lyrics, it’s hard to distinguish one song's sound from the next. They all kind of sound the same. 

For me, this album is missing emotional specificity and honesty. It feels like anyone could have written it, and like his love for Hailey is one-dimensional. I don’t think this album gives me a window into his mind and his heart the way other top pop artists, such as Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga and Khalid, have in their work.

I think it is time to accept that no Bieber album will be better than “Under the Mistletoe,” and no song will be better than “Die in Your Arms.” As a former Belieber, it hurts me to come to this realization. 

Despite the emotionally detached album, I wish Mr. and Mrs. Bieber the best. It’s been a week since its release, and I’m ready to let this go and move on.