INSTANT RECAP: IU men's basketball offense struggles mightily in loss to Rutgers

ABD19816-AA54-4A76-98F0-E76E023D3FDE.jpeg

IU men's basketball (13-3, 3-2) is still looking for its first road win of the season as it travels to the sold out Rutgers Athletic Center in Piscataway, New Jersey to face a resurgent Rutgers (12-4, 3-2). The Hoosiers are coming off a resume-boosting victory over Ohio State on Saturday, entering Wednesday night's game against Rutgers with momentum.

Tip-off is at 7 p.m., and the game will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network. Follow along and refresh the page often for live updates below:

FINAL: That was bad. IU loses to Rutgers 59-50. Lowest point total of the year. IU made two shots from the field outside of the paint and both were in garage time. Shot 32.2% overall. It went 2-18 from three. IU only shot 12 free throws.

IU is now 13-4, 3-3 and still hasn’t won on the road.

Justin Smith led IU with 15 points, Joey Brunk and Al Durham each had 10 points. Brunk had a double-double with 10 reboudns along with his point total.

Under-4 timeout: IU is clutting into it further, now down 49-40. IU made its first three, Al Duhram hitting it with 5:18 to go. It was IU's first made field goal from outside the paint. IU has also only attempted six free throws, which is far below the mark Archie Miller looks for.

Under-8 timeout: IU is down 47-35, slightly cutting into the deficit.

IU timeout, 12:04 left in the first half: Rutgers has pushed all the way out to a 45-28 lead. IU has not been able to hit shots and have paid for it dearly. Turnovers have certainly not helped in the slightest.

Under-16 timeout: Rutgers starts the second half of a 7-0 run, just as it started the first. IU is down by 14 points, 38-24. IU hasn't scored in 6:12 dating back to the first half. It is just one for its last 12 shots. The inconsistencies of this team are rearing their head again.

Halftime: Rutgers closes the half on a 10-2 run after IU took its first lead and the Scarlet Knights lead 31-24 at halftime. IU played great defense to spark its run to get back into the game and take a 22-21 lead, but turnovers were brutal especially at the end of the half. IU turned the ball over 10 times, and had 12 points off those turnovers.

Justin Smith led IU with seven points in the first half. Al Durham had five and Rob Phinisee, Trayce Jackson-Davis and Joey Brunk all had four.

IU scored 20 of its 24 points in the paint. All four of the remaining points came from the free throw line in an offense that continue to be one-dimensional. Overall, a poor and sloppy first half for the Hoosiers.

Under-4 timeout: Rutgers goes on a mini 5-0 run. Devonte Green is stepping back into his hero ball style of play which led to Rutgers getting some chances in transition. But overall, IU's defense has been pretty good. Scarlet Knights lead 26-22.

6:52 left in the first half: IU has come all the way back in the first half, and takes its first lead at 22-21. Justin Smith hit a floater from right next to the basket. IU's defense has set up its offense. It has gotten in transition still and gotten in the post. IU has 10 fast break points and 18 points in the paint.

Under-12 timeout: IU's offense has certainly picked up as it has gotten the ball inside more. It has played in transition and gotten two and-1s as a result. Doing this has been much more efficient for the scoring as IU has cut the deficit to 17-12.

Under-16 timeout: The lead grew all the way to 12-0 before IU scored six straight points to cut it to 12-6. The Hoosiers have been a completely different team on the road this season and that has continued. It has taken a multitude of three point shots and has not fed inside to the post. IU has looked a little better in the seconds leading up to the under-16 timeout however.

Indiana timeout, 18:15 left in the first half: Another poor start on the road for IU. Rutgers' Akwasi Yeboah hit a three to force IU to take an early timeout. Scarlet Knights up 7-0. This type of start has befallen IU in each of its road games.

Pregame: IU will start Rob Phinisee for the second straight game, which may become a normal feature of this team. Al Durham, Justin Smith, Trayce Jackson-Davis and Joey Brunk, all normal starters, are in the starting lineup.

Pregame: IU will have sophomore forward Damezi Anderson back. He missed IU's win over Ohio State with an illness.

Pregame: Rutgers star guard Geo Baker will reportedly be available to play tonight against IU after missing time with an injury.