arts community events iu cinema

Fifth annual 'The Sound of Music' quote-along to screen at the IU Cinema

entsound121219.jpg

The IU Cinema will show a special “quote-along” screening of “The Sound of Music” at 4 p.m. Sunday. Attendees of the screening are encouraged to dress up as their favorite characters and sing or talk along to the movie as it is playing. This screening marks the fifth-annual quote-along organized at the cinema.

“IU Cinema first programmed its now-annual ‘The Sound of Music’ quote-along in 2015 when the film was celebrating its 50th anniversary,” Brittany Friesner, associate director of the IU Cinema, said in an email. “The first event was such a success that audiences told us they’d love for us to bring it back every year.”

“The Sound of Music” was released in 1965 and is based off the actual events of the von Trapp family. Set in Austria in the late 1930s, the film tells the story of a nun who marries a retired naval officer and then must flee the country to escape a Nazi invasion. The film won five categories at the 38th Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Music.

“One of the pieces of feedback we hear most often in our annual audience survey is for us to screen more classic movies, especially ones appealing to families, so programming ‘The Sound of Music’ each holiday season has been a real crowd pleaser,” Friesner said. “The film has an Indiana connection: Director Robert Wise, born in 1914 in Winchester, Indiana. He also directed ‘West Side Story,’ ‘The Day the Earth Stood Still,’ ‘The Andromeda Strain’ and many other classic films we’ve previously screened.”

Additional information on these showings and more is available on the IU Cinema website. Tickets are available for these showings online, at the IU Auditorium Box Office or in the IU Cinema Lobby an hour before each showing.