Movies set to hit the IU Cinema screen this November

IU Cinema

As the temperature continues to drop and the leaves continue to fall, the IU Cinema is continuing its offerings of viewing experiences for Bloomington residents.

With more than 20 showings before the beginning of December, the cinema will feature its usual repertoire of international arthouse pieces, classic action movies and time-honored masterpieces.

To kick off November, the IU Cinema is showcasing three films diving deep into the music of the cultures they portray. At 7 p.m. Wednesday, Lily Keber will be attending a showing of her documentary “Buckjumping,” showcasing the culture of dance that permeates New Orleans.

Continuing with the theme of cultural dance analysis is the 7 p.m. Thursday showing of the films “The Invisible Sounds” and “Look How Pretty,” a double-feature of documentaries directed by Ana María Arango, who will be present.

Lastly, at 7 p.m. Friday, the cinema will screen “Babylon”, exploring the lives of Caribbean immigrants facing oppression in Margaret Thatcher’s England. The film’s lead, Brinsley Forde, will be in attendance.

This weekend will also feature action movies spanning more than 50 years of the genre. The 1981 classic “The Clash of the Titans,” featuring revolutionary stop-motion animation by Ray Harryhausen, will screen at 10 p.m. Friday for $4.

The following afternoon, the 1935 film “Captain Blood” will screen at 4 p.m. for free. The film was nominated for five Academy Awards in 1936, including Best Picture, Best Director and Adaptation.

The cult classic action film “Miami Connection” will screen at 7 p.m. Saturday. Though initially a critical and commercial failure, this film has since gained a dedicated following of B-movie enthusiasts since its re-release in 2012.

The IU Cinema will also feature a number of historical dramas to round out its catalogue. Sunday will feature both parts of Sergei Eisenstein’s cinematic masterpiece “Ivan the Terrible.” Released in 1944 and 1958, these movies revolutionized cinema as both an art form and a language through their use of montages and metaphorical imagery.

The film “Mary Shelley” will screen at the cinema Nov. 14, telling the story of the titular author and her husband, and how their relationship would both challenge their deeply patriarchal society and change the world of literature.

Additional information on these showings and more is available on the IU Cinema website. Tickets are available for these showings online, at the IU Auditorium Box Office or in the IU Cinema Lobby an hour before each showing.