INSTANT RECAP: IU men's basketball cruises past Princeton in second half to win 79-54

spiubbliveupdates112019.JPG

Welcome to the live updates page for IU men's basketball's Wednesday night game against Princeton University. The Hooisers have a chance to start 5-0 for the first time since 2013 with a win tonight. The all-time series is tied 2-2. The two haven't played since 1996, where IU won. The other matchups game in 1969, 1972 and 1986. Follow along below for updates and analysis.

FINAL: IU cruises in the second half, pulling away from Princeton 79-54. The second half was world better than the first. IU didn't pull away because it couldn't make shots in the first half. IU made 62% of its shots in the second half and did in fact pull away. Devonte Green and Joey Brunk tie for the team lead with 16 points. IU is 5-0.

Second half under 8 timeout: Princeton has made two of its last 10 field goals. Conversely, IU has made 10-18 field goals in the second half, far better than the first. As the flags come out, IU is more than in control of this one. Hoosiers lead 61-44.

Second half under-12 timeout: It took a bit, but IU is pulling away. A 10-0 run and IU leads 53-37. It was bound to happen at some point. It's not like IU's offense was bad, just that shots weren't falling. They are now.

Princeton timeout, 13:42 to play: IU has its largest lead of the game, 48-37. Shots are starting to go down a bit more. Race Thompson scored the basket that led to the timeout, grabbing an offensive rebound and putting it back in through contact in front of the basket before coming back down.

Second half under-16 timeout: Devonte Green is back with his one-handed passes, skipping around and smiling. He's helped IU get some breathing room in this one, 41-35. Green started the second half after not staring the game.

Halftime: Not exactly the prettiest of halves. IU leads 35-31. Trayce Jackson-Davis is IU's leading scorer with seven points. The offense had some very short spurts of clean, crisp play. But it had much longer spurts where it did the opposite. That's why IU has yet again been unable to pull away from a lesser opponent. IU is 1-6 from three. Only an advantage of three in rebounding. 20 of IU's 35 points have come in the paint.

First half under-4 timeout: After IU fell behind by one, Devonte Green helped IU go back in front. He hits a deep, fade away three, with contact nonetheless to put IU up 29-25. Green has been quite solid in just his second game back, and had the typical Green flair with the ball in his hands.

First half under-8 timeout: IU's offense has suddenly evaporated. When it looked like it was ready to pull away, IU kept hitting iron, and let Princeton back into the game. Princeton made a three to tie the game at 21. It is 4-10 from three, IU is 0-3. IU had a stretch of no points for just over two minutes and making 1-7 field goals.

First half under-12 timeout: IU had quite the 20 second stretch coming out of the under-16 timeout. Quick four points and a block from Jerome Hunter caused Princeton to take a timeout. Race Thomposn missed a few layups and that's the reason why IU's lead is only 14-11.

First half under-16 timeout: It took IU a few minutes to find a little rhythm on offnese. IU has done well getting to the rim, that's how all eight of its points have come. IU has forced four turnovers, including one steal from Armaan Franklin which he took back down the floor on his own for a lay-up to give IU its first lead, 6-5. IU leads 8-5 at the timeout. Franklin, Justin Smith, Trayce Jackson-Davis and Joey Brunk have all scored, all from the field.

Pregame: IU is maintaining its same starting lineup for the first four games. Al Durham, Armaan Franklin, Justin Smith, Trayce Jackson-Davis and Joey Brunk. Rob Phinisee and Devonte Green will both play tonight, but won't start. Those two will likely be the starting guards at some point this season, but neither are at 100% health.

Pregame: With De'Ron Davis out tonight, some combination of Jerome Hunter, Race Thompson and Damezi Anderson may seen more minutes. It's not as if Davis had a big work load to begin with, but this may give IU a chance to try its smaller lineup a bit more with Trayce Jackson-Davis playing the five.

Pregame: Sophomore guard Rob Phinisee is dressed and taking part in pregame warm ups. He missed IU's game against Troy with an illness. Senior center De'Ron Davis, however, is in sweats and looks to be out tonight.