administration academics & research

Bloomington Faculty Council discuss scholarships, proposal amendments

cabfc111919.jpg

The IU Bloomington Faculty Council met Nov. 19 and discussed items from a policy revision for promotion and tenure to the MacDonald Scholarship.

Physics professor Hans-Otto Meyer read the memorial resolution for Robert E. Pollock, an IU physics professor who died in 2018.

First-generation freshman Montseratt Rodriguez-Bahena received a scholarship from the Scott MacDonald Scholars Program and spoke at the meeting. The scholarship is partially funded by the BFC. She is a DACA student, which barred her from many traditional scholarships.

“That’s really the mission of every public university, which is to provide education for all students, regardless of race, class, ethnicity, whether they have a passport or not,” said former BFC president Rebecca Spang . 

Rodriguez-Bahena gave an account of what the scholarship meant to her and has provided for her. Being the oldest of five, managing finances was going to be harder without this scholarship. In many scholarships she searched for she read the words: must be a U.S. citizen, which made her want to give up. 

“I am one of the few lucky dreamers who has gotten the opportunity to further their education,” Rodriguez-Bahena said. 

She said when she visited IU, she felt like it was the right place for her to be. 

Following this, a proposed revision to evaluative criteria for promotion and tenure passed after some proposed amendments, such as changing words used.