SICE renamed Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering after $60 million donation

casice102019.jpg

The School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering is now the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering after former IU student Fred Luddy, according to an IU press release.

Luddy gifted $60 million to the school for an artificial intelligence program. The money will be used to construct a building for the new initiative, provide scholarships and create several endowed chairs and fellowships.

Luddy previously donated $8 million to help build Luddy Hall, according to a previous IDS article. While Luddy attended IU in the 1970s, he did not graduate.

This is the third school renaming in Bloomington this year. What once was the School of Public and Environmental Affairs became the O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs after IU alumnus and former secretary of the U.S. Treasury Paul H. O’Neill donated $30 million to the school.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the number of schools that have been renamed this year. The School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering will be the third school that has been renamed. The IDS regrets this error.