sports men's soccer

IU men’s soccer rides its freshmen in a 3-1 victory over Northwestern

spiumsrecap100119.jpg

IU’s heralded freshman class shined bright under the lights of Martin Stadium on Thursday night as IU topped Northwestern 3-1.

A week after suffering its first defeat on the road to Butler , No. 8 IU has since responded with a pair of dominant victories.

Just as it did in its 1-0 win over California State University, Sacramento last Friday, the Hoosiers rode their No. 2-ranked recruiting class once again as they traveled north to Evanston, Illinois, for their second Big Ten match of the season.

Northwestern, who entered the contest on a five-match unbeaten streak, looked to parlay its momentum into a fast start and an early advantage over IU.

Following a slow start by both teams in the opening 10 minutes, the Wildcats went on the offensive in the 16th minute with a quality shot on goal that was corralled by IU freshman goalkeeper Roman Celentano.

Making his debut for the Hoosiers, Celentano got the starting nod as IU head coach Todd Yeagley opted not to go with senior goalkeeper Sean Caulfield, who had previously started every match this season.

Celentano made good on Yeagley’s decision, finishing the night with eight saves while allowing just one goal and earning his first career win.

Elsewhere, IU freshmen forwards Maouloune Goumballe, Josh Penn and Aidan Morris were instrumental in IU’s offensive attack.

After earning his first start last Friday against Sacramento State, Goumballe found himself back on the bench to start the match against Northwestern. That didn’t deter him from making his presence felt, however, as he would go on to record a goal and an assist, both his second of the season.

Goumballe’s talent showed late in the first half as he used some crafty dribbling to get in front of Northwestern’s net and cause enough chaos to deflect a shot off his defender that found its way across the goal line.

For Morris and Penn’s part, the front-line duo remained aggressive all night and allowed IU to play the high-tempo offense that has been so effective for it this season.

After Northwestern’s Ugo Achara Jr. tied the game up at one going into halftime, Penn responded in the 57th minute by finding a crease in the Northwestern defense and intentionally ricocheting a shot off his defender into the back of the net. The shot put IU ahead for good.

The Hoosiers put the match out of reach in the 65th minute as Goumballe connected with Morris from five feet out. Morris tucked just inside the right goal post for his first collegiate goal and the final blow to the Wildcats.

Though frustrations have come and gone for a largely inexperienced squad, a strong showing against Northwestern and a 6-1-2 record midway through season have IU trending in the right direction.

With the Big Ten climate very much uncertain right now, the Hoosiers have a chance to pull away from the pack, but it’ll be up to their underclassmen to see just how far they can take them.