men's soccer

Three things to know before IU men's soccer first road conference match

Fans celebrate

After posting its second shutout of the season, No. 5 IU men’s soccer will hit the road to take on Northwestern University for its first conference road match. 

The Hoosiers bounced back from a 2-1 loss to Butler University with a 1-0 win over California State University at Sacramento. Freshman forward Joshua Penn kicked home the team’s lone goal in the 75th minute to push IU to 5-1-2.

Before the Wildcats try and sink their claws into a young and fatigued Hoosier team, here are some key components to know before Tuesday’s match.

1. IU needs energy and health to defend its conference undefeated streak.

Since 2015, the Hoosiers are 20-0-8 in regular season conference play. For Yeagley and the coaching staff, mentioning that is not a jinx but irrelevant.

“It’s a program reflection, which is great, but it has nothing to do with this team,” Yeagley said. “We’re happy that we have those marks; it just means we’ve been consistently strong.”

Friday’s win against Sacramento State displayed a team capable of winning but in need of rest. Yeagley substituted players frequently, which led to freshman defender Brett Bebej making his season debut.

This five- day break might be what the doctor ordered, not just for the active players on the team but for the injured as well. 

Freshman forward Victor Bezerra and junior defender Ian Black are recovering from muscle injuries. Yeagley said their status for Tuesday’s match is looking better but still up in the air.

2. Northwestern does not play well against IU.

IU is 30-2-7 all time against their Illinois rival. They are 15-1-3 at home and 13-1-3 at Lanny and Sharon Martin Stadium.

The Hoosiers have not lost to the Wildcats since 2009 and has been 7-0-6 against their conference foes since. 

In the most recent match between these two teams, IU’s junior midfielder Spencer Glass kicked a golden goal to advance IU in the Big Ten tournament — which they would go on to win. 

Offensively, IU has outscored Northwestern 20-10 in the last 13 games and holds five shutouts during that stretch as well. 

3. Hoosier hold second half advantage

IU and Northwestern both have seven players on their rosters who have scored and are nearly identical in shot attempts and corner kicks during the first half of play.

When the game moves into the second half, the Hoosiers have an edge on paper. 

Yeagley’s offense is outscoring Northwestern 8-4 in the second half with nearly double the amount of shot attempts, more corner kicks, less fouls and saves this season.

In spite of this, Penn said IU is not just a second half team. He does, however, acknowledge that IU’s scoring and playmaking amp up on the other side of the 45- minute mark.

“We’ve been creating the chances they just haven’t been falling,” he said. “Then we’re able to reset at halftime and then come out and find the back of the net.”

Tuesday's match begins at 8 p.m. and will be the first stop for IU before traveling Sunday to Penn State University.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article had the incorrect day of the match. The IDS regrets this error.