student life bloomington

There is still time to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month

cadoloreshuerta091919

National Hispanic Heritage Month started Sept. 15 and runs through Oct. 15. Events for the month have already taken place, including a speech from activist Dolores Huerta and a showing of the movie “Coco” in Bryan Park.

La Casa Latino Cultural Center has a calendar still packed full of events for students to attend. Here are just a few of them. Visit La Casa’s website for a full list of events.

National Hispanic Heritage Month Leadership awards

The City of Bloomington’s Commission on Hispanic and Latino Affairs will recognize the recipients of the award.

When: 5:30 p.m. Sept. 30

Where: Showers City Hall

Defensa Personal Para Mujeres, personal defense class.

This workshop is an opportunity for attendees to learn how to defend themselves against attackers as well as avoid dangerous situations. The workshop will be taught in Spanish.

When: 5:30 p.m. Oct. 1

Where: TBD

Finding and Knowing Your Roots: Latinx Edition at La Casa.

The event will explore the history of the Latinx community settling in the area. Participants will learn how to find and trace their roots and have a conversation with a Latinx genealogical researcher. 

When: 7 p.m. Oct. 2

Where: La Casa

Nuestra Raices community event at La Casa

The Latino Graduate Student Association is inviting students to this open mic night. The night will include sharing family traditions, songs, music and stories. 

When: 6 p.m. Oct. 3

Where: La Casa

Aperitivos: Easy Latin American Finger Foods to Make at Home

The event is a cooking class where people will learn how to make five easy at-home Latino appetizers. 

When: 7 p.m. Oct. 9

Where: IU Food Project House

Latinos Unidos and Sigma Lambda Beta Homecoming Floats

During the IU Homecoming parade, Latinos Unidos and Sigma Lambda Beta will have floats celebrating their anniversaries. After the parade, Sigma Lambda Beta will have a mixer and discussion to look at the past 30 years of the organization. 

When: 4 p.m. Oct. 11

Where: La Casa

Monroe County Public Library Hispanic Heritage Celebration

This event will celebrate the Hispanic and Latin American culture with food, activities and live music. 

When: 2 p.m. Oct. 13

Where: Monroe County Public Library

Building Language and Literacy for Latino Preschoolers One Word at a Time

Ran by the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences at IU, this workshop will discuss several aspects of the process of language, vocabulary and literacy development in Latinx preschoolers who are learning two languages.  

When: 8 a.m Oct. 14

Where: Willkie Auditorium