news   |   student life

Yes Theory IU says 'Yes' to seeking discomfort

catheory090519

Junior Dakota Johnson, left, and senior Mattie Taylor present a slideshow Sept. 5 at the Yes Theory IU callout meeting. Yes Theory IU is a new club this school year and encourages its members to get outside of their comfort zones. Madelyn Knight Buy Photos

Students Mattie Taylor, Devanshi Ruparel and a couple others met online last school year through a Facebook group called “Yes Theory Fam.” This group stems from the YouTube channel Yes Theory, whose mantra is to say“Yes” to opportunities and to seek discomfort. 

“It’s such a contagious message,” said Ruparel, Yes Theory IU co-founder and director for marketing. “We are so motivated and passionate about the message to seek discomfort.” 

When Ruparel and the other students each realized they all attended IU, they wanted to meet up and do something together, similar to what the actual Yes Theory group would do. 

So they met up at the Sample Gates, handed out flowers to people, and from there, they decided to form Yes Theory IU, which emulates the same principles Yes Theory centers on.

“It was honestly one of the most positive experiences that I’ve ever had here,” said Taylor, Yes Theory IU co-founder and vice president. 

Yes Theory IU is beginning its first full year as a club this school year. Their next planned event, called Operation Flower Power, is scheduled for 3-5 p.m.Friday at the Sample Gates, where they will hand out flowers, mirroring the event that started it all.

While they do plan some events, they also allow members to share ideas via their GroupMe. Members are not required to go to events but are encouraged to get out of their comfort zones. 

Because of Yes Theory IU, Ruparel went from being scared to talk to people to speaking with students for hours at a table promoting Yes Theory IU. 

In order to be a member, students must pay dues of $10 for the year, which will help fund the group’s events. However, they don’t want money to be a barrier to membership. Dakota Johnson, Yes Theory IU co-founder and president, said he expects from the members a sense of community in which they will encourage self-growth and development.

“Anyone who joins will come out with a lot of new friends from different backgrounds,” Johnson said.

More in News