arts community events

“Every Breath We Drew” photo gallery presented at Grunwald Gallery

enthector091619

The Grunwald Gallery is displaying photography by Jess Dugan, a portraiture photographer whose work explores identity, gender, sexuality and community, until Oct. 4. The exhibition opened Aug. 6 with the gallery reception Sept. 13.

The exhibition, titled "Every Breath We Drew," will follow Dugan's tradition of exploring the power of identity, desire and connection.

"Working within the framework of queer experience and from my actively constructed sense of masculinity, my portraits examine the intersection between private, individual identity and the search for intimate connection with others," Dugan said in a press release.

She examines these intersections by photographing people in their homes and personal spaces while using medium and large format cameras.

Instead of just depicting one specific group, individuals portrayed in the gallery represent different sexual orientations and gender identities. But Dugan also expresses her own self through her photos.

"The photographs of men and masculine individuals act as a kind of mirror," Dugan said in a press release. "They depict the type of gentle masculinity I am attracted to, and also the kind I want to embody."

The photos also seek to understand relationships, including the intimate connections people have to themselves. She centers her work around the difficulties of finding an individual identity in environments that are constricting.  

“My work does not attempt to provide definitive answers; rather, it invites viewers to engage with others in an intimate, meaningful way, requiring them to reflect on their own identities in the process,” Dugan said on her website.

Featuring photos of couples, individuals and self-portraits, Dugan combines her own perspective with the more extensive themes of connection and attempts to address the political and cultural factors of gender, inclusion and representation.

Until Oct. 4, Bloomington residents can view Dugan’s work for free at the Grunwald Gallery, open from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.Tuesday through Saturday.