administration student life

A complete guide of IU Themester events

cathemester090819.jpg

Lectures and Talks

• 12 - 1 p.m. every Friday from Sept. 13 through Dec. 6: Themester Lunch Discussion Series at the Indiana Memorial Union Tudor Room.

• 5:30 p.m. Sept. 16: “Through the Lens of Memory: Creating the 9/11 Memorial Museum,” with Alice M. Greenwald (National September 11 Memorial & Museum) at Wooburn Hall 100.

• 4 p.m. Sept. 19: “Drive-by History: Roadside Markers in Haudenosaunee Homelands” with Dr. Alyssa Mt. Pleasant (University of Buffalo, State University of New York) at the Lee Norvelle Theatre Building Bridgewaters’ Lounge.

• 2 p.m. Sept. 22: "Stories of Elders: What the Greatest Generation Knows about Technology that You Don’t" at the Monroe County Library.

• 5:30 p.m. Sept. 23: “Beneath the Mushroom Cloud: The Aftermath of Nuclear War” with author Susan Southard. 

• 5 p.m. Sept. 26: “The IU Bicentennial: Remembering the Forgotten” a panel discussion at the IMU Frangipani Room.

• 3-6 p.m. Oct. 3: “Surviving, Remembering, and Forgetting the Siege of Leningrad” at Woodburn Hall Grand Hall.

• 4:30-6:30 p.m. Oct. 10: “Remembering the Golden Age of Islamic Civilization” with Dr. Asma Afsaruddin (Indiana University) at the Global International Studies Building 1060.

• 12 p.m. Oct. 25: Noon Talk Group: Remembering and Forgetting at Grunwald Gallery of Art.

• 7 p.m. Oct. 29: “Remembering and Forgetting: War Children and Art,” a reading discussion with author Tim O’Brien in Franklin Hall Presidents Hall.

• 5 p.m. Nov. 20: “Remembering and Forgetting Civil Rights” A Visit from Charles E. Cobb at the Neal Marshall Black Cultural Center.

Films

• 4-6 p.m. Sept. 8: “Selma” at the IU Cinema. 

• 7 p.m. Sept. 9: “Who Will Write Our History” at the IU Cinema.

• 7-8:40 p.m. Oct. 21: “We Tell: Body Politics” at the IU Cinema.

• 7-8:50 p.m. Oct. 22: “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” at the IU Cinema.

• 7 p.m. Nov. 11: “After Life” at the IU Cinema. 

• 7 p.m. Nov. 21: “Freedom on My Mind” at the IU Moving Image Archive Screening Room, Herman B Wells Library.

Stage Production

• 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Sept. 8-22: Thursday through Sunday the Cardinal Stage Company presents "The Great Gatsby" at the Auditorium. Tickets are $19.95 for students.

• 7:30 p.m. Sept. 27 and 28: “By the Bog of Cats” at the Wells-Metz Theatre at the Neal Marshall Black Culture Center. Tickets for students are $10.

Exhibitions 

• Oct. 11 - Nov. 20: Remembering and Forgetting at the Grunwald Gallery. 

• All Semester: Framing Sukkot at the Mathers Museum of World Cultures.

• 2:30 p.m. Oct. 8: "Growing Old in Brown County: A Place to Remember and a Place to Forget" at the Mathers Museum.

• 2:30 p.m. Sept. 10: "Poetry, Memory, and Art with Jenny Kander" at Mathers Museum.

• 6-8 p.m. Oct. 11: Reception for Remembering and Forgetting at the Grunwald Gallery of Art.

Courses

• U.S. Social Movements and Institutions: The Legacy of Lynching: Landscapes of Race and Place.

• Hoosier Heartland.

• Science-Fiction and Fantasy in the Western Tradition.

• Introduction to Film- Visual Memory: Trauma and Memorial in Film.

• Public Memory in Communication and Culture.

• Advanced Expository Writing: Making Memories.

• Forms of Commemorations: Shrines, Altars, and Dark Tourism.

• Memory, Art, and Aging: Life Stories and the Expressive Lives of Elders.

• Civil Rights and Freedom Summer.

• History of Genocide.

• The Bomb in American Life.

• War, Genocide, and Literature.

• Remembering and Forgetting Political Media Messages. 

• The Golden Age of Islamic Civilization.

• Human Memory.

• Introduction to Studio Art: Exploring Remembering/Forgetting through Art and Design.

• Performance and Memory.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated the Grunwald Gallery's Remembering and Forgetting exhibition would be on display for the entire fall semester. It will be on display Oct. 11 - Nov. 20. The IDS regrets this error.