crime & courts

Two Bloomington men arrested following shooting on westside

Two men were arrested Thursday night after multiple people called police around 8:30 p.m. to report gunshots near Third and Buckner streets.

Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Dana Cole said David Stout, 23, was charged with criminal recklessness and Savon Phillips, 26, was charged with criminal recklessness and gun possession by a serious violent felon. Stout and Phillips are acquaintances. 

Cole said Stout, Phillips and Phillips' girlfriend were three of the people who called the police. Stout told police he was involved in the shooting. Phillips told them he was driving a silver car that had had its back window shot out. 

Police detained Phillips after arriving at his home, Cole said. Phillips told police he was his home with his girlfriend and her two children when Stout arrived. The two had a confrontation over Phillips’ girlfriend's missing WIC card, which provides federal assistance when purchasing groceries. Phillips said he believed Stout stole it. 

Cole said police are unsure who pulled out a gun first. Stout told police the fight escalated, and Phillips pulled a .45-caliber handgun and began firing. Stout also pulled a 9 mm handgun and began shooting inside the home as well, Cole said. 

Cole said Stout shot through the exterior walls of the home and continued to shoot at Phillips as he fled to a car and drove away. Phillips, his girlfriend and her 1-year-old and 4-month-old children were inside the car. 

Cole said police removed the girlfriend's children from the car because their car seats contained glass pieces and fragments. The children were taken to the hospital but had no injuries. They were later placed in their maternal grandmother’s home by the Department of Child Services, which will investigate the incident. 

Phillips denied owning a gun and shooting at Stout, Cole said. Phillips was not allowed to possess a firearm due to a previous conviction for battery with a deadly weapon.

Detectives obtained search warrants for Phillips' and Stout's homes and found a .45-caliber handgun and 9 mm handgun they believe the two used in the shooting. Police also found around 20 shell casings coming from both guns inside and outside Phillips' home.