Local Bloomington music scene is back to put on concerts

entconcerts082819.jpg

This September, Bloomington is set to emcee multiple indie, rock, funk and world music concerts. The start of the academic year is filled with festivals, nightlife, and classic and covers of catchy tunes. The locations range from campus to the bustling streets of downtown Bloomington.   

First Thursdays September Festival 

Almost every month, if weather allows, the First Thursdays Festival takes place outside of the Fine Arts Plaza. This academic year’s premier First Thursdays Festival will take place Sept. 5 from 5-8 p.m.This month’s performances include Royalty, a funky Prince tribute band; Jefferson Street Parade Band, whose music puts a cultural spin on traditional marching bands; Dior Quartet, a high-energy 4-member string ensemble; and Flashback to Never, a podcast that features artists with a retro ambiance.

C.W. Stoneking at the Bishop

On Sept. 6, C.W. Stoneking will perform at the Bishop. This concert is an 18+ event and runs from 9-11:59 p.m with ticket prices set at $10. Stoneking is an Australian musician who keeps the flare of soul alive. His jivey blues mixed with an authentic, unapologetic sound brings an eccentric element to his music.

Whitney at the Bluebird

Indie-alternative folk band Whitney is coming to the Bluebird for a 21+ event at 9 p.m. Sept. 9 with tickets priced at $22.

A Chicago-based band, Whitney will hit the Bluebird stage for one of the 60 concerts on its current tour. Its album “Light Upon the Lake” helped launch it into the limelight and allow it to tour internationally.

Lotus World Music and Arts Festival

The 2019 Lotus World Music and Arts Festival will begin Sept. 26 and end Sept. 29. Now in its 26th year, the festival offers a mix of music, activities and arts for attendees of all ages. While some parts of the festival are ticketed, many events are free.

Rumours Fleetwood Mac Tribute Band at the Bluebird

Mekenzie Jackson, a Stevie Nicks fan turned cover singer, will perform at 9 p.m. Sept. 28 at the Bluebird with her band Rumours for ages 21+. This band plays a cover of Fleetwood Mac's only #1 U.S. hit "Dreams" and pays homage to Fleetwood Mac's legacy.