crime & courts

Woman protesting at Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market arrested

A 40-year-old woman was arrested Saturday at the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market on trespassing charges after she refused to move her protest of a market vendor. 

Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Brandon Siniard said police responded to a call at 10:20 a.m. about a protester named Cara Caddoo standing in front of a booth and refusing to move.

Caddoo protested in front of market vendor Schooner Creek Farm. Protests over Schooner Creek Farm's involvement with the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market began after a public letter to the market alleged the owners were white supermacists

Other protesters stayed within the areas designated for free speech, but Caddoo protested inside the market, violating market rules. 

Siniard said the Parks and Recreation Department notified police because Caddoo was blocking people’s easy access to booths and interfering with the commerce of the market.

At the request of market officials, police asked Caddoo to relocate her protest, Siniard said. Police gave Caddoo multiple warnings, and after she refused to move, she was arrested for criminal trespass. She was released at 1:35 p.m. according to the Bloomington Herald-Times.

According to Monroe County Correctional Center booking documents, Caddoo's bond was $0.