crime & courts

Prosecutor seeks life without parole for dad, stepmom in Posso case

caposso072619.jpg

A couple charged with murder after the death of 12-year-old Eduardo Posso in May now face sentences of life without parole.

Monroe County Prosecutor Erika Oliphant filed a notice of intent to seek sentences of life imprisonment without parole Thursday afternoon against Luis Posso and Dayana Medina Flores if they are convicted of murder. 

Oliphant cited two aggravating circumstances: the torture and confinement of Eduardo while he was alive. 

Eduardo Posso was pronounced dead May 24 at IU Health Bloomington Hospital after his father, Luis, carried him into the emergency room. Flores told police Eduardo was sick, cold to the touch and unresponsive. 

He weighed 50 pounds and had 0% body fat, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Jennifer Allen said at a May 28 press conference after the arrests of Posso and Flores. An autopsy revealed signs of starvation, neglect and abuse. 

The family is from Florida, and Posso and Flores worked as circus promoters for Cirque Italia, traveling from state to state and passing out fliers while living out of hotel rooms.

Investigators found metal chains, cordage, restraint cuffs, padlocks and an electric shock dog collar in the hotel room the family was staying in, all of which were used to restrain Eduardo.

Posso’s lawyer requested a change of venue, saying media coverage of the case means potential jurors have been exposed to prejudice against the defendant. His next scheduled court appearance is 11 a.m. Sept. 27 to discuss the potential change of venue.

Flores is next scheduled to appear in court 3 p.m. Aug. 21 for a pre-trial conference.