Get familiar with IU's Cultural Centers

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) 2018

With a student population of almost 50,000, IU’s campus has numerous cultures and identities. These six cultural centers provide education opportunities and help students feel at home on campus.

Asian Culture Center

The Asian Culture Center is an important resource for IU’s over three thousand Asian American and Pacific Islander students. The center supports students and educates others on Asian and Pacific Islander cultures. It runs events and programs throughout the semester at their location on 807 E. 10th St. and across campus. The center offers academic support services, including language learning programs and cultural programs. 

LGBTQ+ Culture Center

With IU named as one of the most LGBTQ friendly campuses in the nation by Campus Pride, the culture center provides resources such as mentoring programs, private counseling services and weekly free HIV testing. The center also has a library full of books, movies, CDs and zines on gender and sexuality.

Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center

The Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center supports IU’s black population. It focuses on the recruitment and retention of black students through student development seminars, an academic support center and a partnership with Counseling and Psychological Services. The center also offers cultural events for students to get involved in such as the annual fish fry and discussion and panels for Black History Month. 

La Casa Latino Cultural Center

Founded 45 years ago, the La Casa Latino Cultural Center works with the Latino population of IU. Center staff supports students and parents, providing them plenty of resources, such as guides for the FAFSA and scholarship application translated into Spanish. The center also helps DACA students with a website that provides the latest news on legislation affecting  DACA recipients and guides for how to renew DACA requests.

First Nations Education and Cultural Center

Opening in 2007, the First Nations Education and Cultural Center supports American Indian, Alaskan Native and Native Hawaiian students, faculty and staff. It focuses on building a community of Native students and support the awareness of the students and their culture. 

There is programming to help students learn such as lunch time speakers’ series with Native experts, an annual Native film series and academic advising. They host IU’s annual Traditional Powwow, which attracts hundreds of people every year to view traditional performances with dancing and drum groups. Vendors also sell handcrafted items and a variety of food. 

Similar to other centers on campus, they offer personal counseling and academic advising.