What IDS staffers wish we had known before college

22.claire.jpg
22.claire.jpg

Claire Peters, news reporter

I wish I knew how much change was going to happen within the first two semesters. This might vary from person to person, but I kind of assumed that I would stay the same in most respects, but living on my own for the first time and having a lot more independence changed me a lot, mostly for the better! It at least made me drink a lot more black coffee. 

Assuming that not much would change made it a little difficult to go with the flow throughout the semester, so knowing that beforehand would have been nice.

22.abby.jpg

Abby Malala, arts editor

There’s so much I wish I had known before I came to college. How to manage my time, how long food will last in a mini fridge and why it’s a bad idea to party the night before an 8 a.m. exam — I wound up sprinting across campus with a hangover only to be an hour late. But the most important thing I’ve learned in college has nothing to do with everyday stressors like time management or overestimating my alcohol tolerance. 

I wish I had known how to let go of the stress and just enjoy being young and having my whole life ahead of me.

22.ellen.jpg

Ellen Hine, copy chief

I wish I had known when I came to IU just how easy it is to get involved with a group or club. During my freshman year, I really didn’t join any organizations because I felt intimidated about meeting new people. I ended up missing out on a lot of fun stuff as a result. 

I started working at the Indiana Daily Student during my sophomore year and realized what I had been missing. Everyone was warm and welcoming, and I’ve made some incredible friendships in my short time here. I regret I didn’t get involved sooner, but I’m so happy I’m here.

22.evan.jpg

Evan Carnes, opinion editor

When I came to IU, I wish I would have known more about myself. I found myself facing frequent challenges of my values, relationships and honest moral truths. When I first arrived, I was in one of the most dangerous moments of my life. I wasn’t taking care of my mental health or those around me.

This harmful state of mind plus trying to understand who you want to “be” is a burden no one deserves. I wish I knew that I would be all right and that I would overcome much of my inner turmoil to become proud and excited about the person I am. 

22.emily.jpg

Emily Isaacman, news editor

I wish I knew it’s OK to not have everything figured out at the start of college. We put so much pressure on ourselves to decide on a career path before we start classes. Most of the time, this is so we can have an answer to give to curious family members and nosy strangers.

My answer to these questions now is incredibly different than it was two years ago. I changed my major from contemporary dance to journalism, and in doing so, changed my life. I wish I didn’t put so much pressure on myself to have all the answers because the point of college is to learn.

2.annie.jpg

Annie Aguiar, Editor-in-chief

I wish I knew how much there was to do in Bloomington outside of IU’s campus. During my first year at IU, I never really strayed too far from the university itself. I went to class and to the IDS but never really explored anything — I rarely ate at a different dining hall than the one attached to my dorm. Side note: I still love you, Woodland Restaurants at Forest.

From the restaurant scene to beautiful hiking trails in Monroe County, some of my best times at IU have been off-campus. Be sure to go out and see the sights.