sports water polo

Taylor Dodson to be new water polo head coach

spiuwp.jpg

After water polo went 6-17 this past season, Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Fred Glass announced May 24 that Head Coach Ryan Castle's contract was not renewed.

A search for Castle's replacement was underway immediately and assistant coaches Emily Carr and Taylor Dodson led the program until a new head coach was named.

Glass announced June 15 Dodson would be hired as the new water polo head coach.

Dodson was an assistant coach at IU for the past two seasons and also has served as an assistant coach for the USA Water Polo National Team since 2017.

"Taylor brings a tremendous track record of success, both as a highly-accomplished student-athlete and as an intercollegiate and Team USA coach," Glass said in an IU athletics press release.

Dodson graduated from University of California, Berkeley in 2013 with a degree in media studies. She played water polo at Berkeley and helped the team win a silver medal at the 2011 NCAA Championships, topping a bronze finish the prior year.

From 2015-17, Dodson was a graduate assistant and director of operations at Wagner College. In her first year as a grad assistant, Wagner won its third consecutive MAAC Championship to enter the field for the 2016 NCAA Championship. The next season, Dodson helped Wagner become the first program to win four consecutive MAAC water polo titles. 

Dodson earned an MBA in marketing from Wagner in 2017.

In her two years as an assistant with IU, the Hoosiers had a combined record of 31-26.

"I am honored and humbled to be the new head coach for the IU women's water polo program," Dodson said in the release. "I look forward to executing our vision for the program athletically, academically and in our community."