crime & courts

Man wearing ankle monitor arrested for theft from gas station

A Bloomington man wearing an ankle monitor was arrested around 2 a.m. June 25 in the parking lot of a Domino’s restaurant for theft.

Police officers were sent to 2601 S. Walnut St., a Marathon Gas station, after an employee said a man had stolen around $30 worth of beef jerky and sunglasses. The officers were told the man had on an ankle monitor, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Jason Shaevitz said. 

After interviewing the employee and reviewing the video footage, officers identified the man as 27-year-old Patrick Shute, who was on probation in Owen County, Shaevitz said.

While some officers found Shute in a nearby El Ranchero parking lot, an employee at a nearby Domino’s pizza restaurant across the street reported keys and medication were missing from his or her car. 

Officers found the medication and keys in Shute’s pocket and brought him over to Domino’s where he was handcuffed and arrested. The stolen beef jerky and sunglasses were not found on Shute or in his car.

While Shute was in the car, officers said he banged his head on the divider and tried to kick out the windows. Officers pulled over and shackled his feet to stop him from kicking. 

Shute was arrested for two counts of theft, criminal mischief, unauthorized entry of vehicle and resisting law enforcement.