sports   |   men's soccer

Jack Maher earns second invite to USMNT U-23 training camp

iu-vs-butler-new

Freshman defender Jack Maher holds off junior Butler midfielder Adam Burch while attempting to win the ball Oct. 16 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU defeated Butler, 3-0. Matt Begala Buy Photos

IU men's soccer sophomore Jack Maher was called into the United States men's national team under-23 team June 7 for a summer training camp.

It marks the second time Maher has received an invitation from USMNT. He received an invite to the U-23 camp in Spain during the spring this year as part of the group's cycle-opening friendlies.

Maher is just one of two collegiate players to get the call, joining Stanford's Andrew Thomas.

This call comes after an impressive rookie season with IU in which he won Big Ten Freshman of the Year.

Maher was one of three players to start all 24 matches for the Hoosiers, helping the team have one of the best back lines in the NCAA. As the center back, he helped IU record an NCAA-best 15 shutouts, only allowing 13 goals on the season.

He earned Freshmen First Team All-America honors from both Top Drawer Soccer and College Soccer News. Coming into college, Maher was ranked as the No. 4 defender in the nation.

The summer training camp with USMNT goes from June 9-16 in Herriman, Utah.

More in Sports