sports rowing

IU rowing places fifth at Big Ten Championships

IU ROW

For the sixth straight season, IU’s rowing team finished in the top five at the Big Ten Championships.

The Hoosiers and the rest of the Big Ten competed Sunday at Devil’s Lake in Baraboo, Wisconsin, to crown a conference champion.

Michigan came out on top with 186 points while IU finished in fifth place with 98 points. Despite not winning it all, IU saw impressive performances from a number of its boats.

The Second Varsity 8 team, which consists of freshmen Jayna Dolfi and Ruby Leverington, sophomores Kendall Blake and Maggie Bornhorst, junior Paige Spiller and seniors Connie Brahm, Ellie Meinzer, Melanie Hampton and Maddie Pierce, finished in third place with a time of 6:39.971. It was the best finish for the 2V8 boat since the 2015-16 Big Ten Championships.

The First Novice 8 boat — freshmen Libby Brown, Ella Cunningham, Emily Worobel, Madison Callaway, Victoria Vicory, Catherine Ryan, Sophie McCartin, Haley Flanagan and Isabelle Crain — also finished in third place with a time of 6:41.039.

The final boat to have a third-place finish for IU was the First Varsity Four — freshman Drew Harris, sophomores Rosie Munro and Nicole Conway, junior Sam Klein and senior Sydney Shuert — when it finished in 7:23.147. It was the best finish for the 1V4 boat in school history.

Junior Abigail Bogovich was named to the All-Big Ten First Team, and sophomore Madison Wright earned a spot on the All-Big Ten Second Team. Bornhorst, who competed with the 2V8 team, won the Big Ten Sportsmanship award.

The Hoosiers will now wait to see if they made the NCAA Championships when the NCAA Selection Show airs at 5 p.m Tuesday. If IU were to get its named called, it would compete May 31-June 2 in Indianapolis for an opportunity to win the NCAA Championship.