arts iu cinema

Aretha Franklin documentary “Amazing Grace” to be shown at IU Cinema

unnamed.png

The 2018 documentary “Amazing Grace,” directed by Sydney Pollack, best known for his 1985 film “Out of Africa,” will be showing at 7 p.m. May 30 and 31 at the IU Cinema. Tickets are available online for $4 for students and $7 for non-students.

“Amazing Grace” was filmed in 1972 and follows iconic soul and gospel singer Aretha Franklin as she records her album of the same name. Performed live at the New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles, the album “Amazing Grace” was released June 1, 1972, and went on to go double platinum.

The film was scheduled for release in 1972, but due to issues with audio and video synchronization, the release was postponed. These issues arose because the film crew did not use a clapperboard, a tool often used to help filmmakers synchronize sound to movies.

In 2007, producer Alan Elliott purchased the raw footage taken in 1972 and planned to release the film in 2011. However, Franklin sued Elliott for using her likeness without her permission, and the film’s release was postponed until last year when Franklin’s family authorized its release.

The run time is 87 minutes, and the film features Franklin and her band, as well as Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts as audience members for the performance. Filmmaker Spike Lee is also a producer for the film.