COLUMN: Your freshman year is the time to get involved

opfresh042819.jpg

I love IU. I love the people, the environment, my job and, yes, even the school work. That being said, my freshman year has been undoubtedly the most stressful experience of my life.

As nerve wracking as college may be, your freshman year is the time to get involved. Want to do theater? Audition for plays now. Is debate more your style? Join the team. That initiative is what fellow students want to see.

It’s better to be the freshman that’s a little out of his or her element than the senior who regrets waiting to get started doing what he or she loves.

I could get by in high school missing school just because I didn’t feel like going. Doing the bare minimum to get the grade I needed is what I excelled at.

Laziness simply doesn’t cut it in college, and I had a feeling that would be the case before I got here. The best advice I can give when it comes to school work is be ready to put in an effort.

Being a freshman is hard. That’s cliche I know, but it’s reality. Going from being a top-dog senior in high school to being thrown into the college life with people who are less than a year or two away from the real real-world is incredibly intimidating.

When I got to IU, I knew exactly what I wanted to do: work for the Indiana Daily Student. I didn’t care if it was writing, taking pictures or designing pages. Luckily, I’ve had the opportunity to do a little bit of all three.

Design is really what got me in my in the door here at the IDS. I’m not the best designer around, though. My strong suit in high school was sports writing. But I saw a need, and I filled it.

My first semester,I was in the newsroom every Sunday and Wednesday to help with design. Toward the end of fall,I heard people in the newsroom talking about editor positions for this semester.

I hesitantly applied for design chief, and that is the role I’ve served in this semester and will continue to next semester.  

If I was told a year ago that I would have had the opportunity to take this job, I wouldn't have believed it.

Initiative is the most important thing in college. If you have the opportunity to do something you love, don’t hesitate because you are a freshman.

“Am I good enough?” is a question I asked myself a lot, and honestly,I still do from time to time. The best advice I can give is don’t ask yourself that. If you want to do something, work at it. People here don't expect you to be perfect, but they do expect you to not give up on yourself.