Rideshare services to use designated drop-off, pickup areas in downtown Bloomington

<p>Rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft will have designated pick-up and drop-off areas in downtown Bloomington from Friday evening through Saturday.</p><p></p>

Rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft will have designated pick-up and drop-off areas in downtown Bloomington from Friday evening through Saturday.

Rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft will have designated pickup and drop-off areas Friday evening through Saturdayin downtown Bloomington, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo said.

The areas will be clearly marked with digital signs, Pedigo said. Locations include the intersections of Eighth and Walnut streets, Sixth and Walnut streets, and North Dunn Street and Kirkwood Avenue.

Pedigo said the designated areas exist so the rideshare services block less traffic during Little 500 weekend. He said the areas will also help customers know they are getting in the correct vehicle.

“A lot of times they just kind of stop all over the street and create dangerous traffic situations,” he said. “We’re not trying to make things difficult, we're just making it safer.”

If officers see the vehicles stopping in the middle of the street to pick up or drop off customers, they will tell them they can only use the designated areas, Pedigo said.

“We’re not leaving it up for debate,” he said.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments