sports rowing

Namesake of IU rowing center Dale England dies at age 71

IU ROW

Longtime IU rowing supporter Dale England died Friday, April 19 at the Cleveland Clinic after a long illness. He was 71 years old.

In 2015, the Dale England Rowing Center at IU was constructed, and with England's support, the facility was upgraded to a 10,000 square-foot building that holds the team’s boats and equipment. 

The annual Dale England Cup on Bloomington’s Lake Lemon is also named in his honor. IU won the event for the third straight time April 20. 

England’s interest in the rowing program began in 2000 when his daughter Becky attended IU. She was a coxswain on the team from 2000-2003, and had a boat dedicated in her honor in 2005. 

"Dale was not only a very close personal friend, but he was a good friend to our team and the whole athletic department," IU Rowing Head Coach Steve Peterson said in an IU press release. "There was not a person in IU Athletics that Dale was not friends with or say hi to. We established a cup race in his honor and named our rowing facility after him. That is how much he meant to us and was a part of our team. Our hearts go out to the England family, and we will never forget the impact he made in all of our lives. We will truly miss him."  

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Sharon along with daughters, Sarah and Becky.