arts iu cinema

IU Cinema partners with Bumble for early screening of ‘Booksmart’

entbumble041519

IU Cinema is partnering with the dating app Bumble to screen a sneak preview of the soon-to-be-released coming of age movie “Booksmart” for free 7 p.m. on Tuesday.

“Booksmart” follows two high school girls, Amy and Molly, played by Beanie Feldstein and Kaitlyn Dever, as they realize they’ve missed out on having fun in high school by choosing to have good grades over good times. They decide to make up for it all on one crazy night before graduation, crashing a house party, doing drugs and breaking all the rules.

Jon Vickers, director of the IU Cinema, said Bumble is a partner who was brought in by the PR company who is handling the sneak preview for the studio, Annapurna Pictures.

“Though we have contacts at Annapurna, this screenings is being managed by The Owens Group, a PR company who manages sneak previews/promotional screenings for several studios. We have worked with them often,” Vickers said.

Vickers said a sneak preview offers audiences a chance to see a film before it is released in theaters.

“Some of these films have never been seen by a public audience, and other films have only been seen in festivals,” Vickers said. “As a sneak preview, the studio, production company, or distributor is trying to get the film in front of strategic audiences to help build excitement before it opens in theaters around the country.”

"Booksmart" is the first feature film directed by actress Olivia Wilde, known for roles in “Tron: Legacy” and “Cowboys and Aliens,” among others.

“Olivia Wilde has directed a couple of short films and has produced several socially-relevant documentaries, including three from former IU Cinema guest filmmakers, David Darg and Bryn Mooser," Vickers said. "When talking about these films, she is passionate and articulate about the subjects and causes. I expect her debut feature film to be equally smart, interesting and, from what I have read, quite funny. Students should love it!”

Passes for the screening can be downloaded online, but seats will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.