arts pop culture

A look back at some of our favorite moments in 'Game of Thrones'

gotmoments040919.jpg

Trying to narrow down nearly a decade of TV greatness into 10 moments is incredibly difficult. There are probably hundreds of moments that could have been put on this list and definitely a handful that were agonizingly left out, but here is our ranking of the top 10 moments in Game of Thrones so far.

10. Cersei blowing up the Sept — season six, episode ten

We all knew Cersei Lannister was evil, but blowing up innocent people, including her daughter-in-law, took her evil to a new level. It was also a pivotal moment for her as her actions drove her last child to death — bringing a prophecy Cersei was told as a child closer to fruition — and for the realm as she took the throne for herself and became the first queen of Westeros.

9. Hardhome — season five, episode eight

Though there are numerous epic battles in "Game of Thrones" history, Hardhome makes the list of top moments because it showed viewers the power of the White Walkers as the Night King raised the dead in front of Jon Snow’s eyes. This moment also showed who Jon was at his core as he prioritized saving Wildlings back to Castle Black over the safety of himself and his men.

8. Tyrion’s speech at his trial for Joffrey's murder — season four, episode six

Tyrion Lannister is known for being clever with words, but his speech where he “confesses” his guilt comes out on top. The powerful dialog speaks for itself: “I am guilty of being a dwarf.”

Tywin Lannister: “You are not on trial for being a dwarf.”

Tyrion: “Oh, yes I am. I've been on trial for that my entire life.”

7. Jon’s resurrection — season six, episode two

Season six marked the series’ first full season with no basis in the books. One of the key questions still unanswered by George R.R. Martin’s published writings was whether Jon would be resurrected — he remains dead in the books as of now. His gasp of air on the table at Castle Black was one of the most highly anticipated moments of the show.

6. Daenerys emerging with her baby dragons — season one, episode ten

Daenerys Targaryen literally walked into a burning pyre and came out unscathed with three baby dragons, creatures unseen for more than 100 years. Enough said.

5. Ned’s beheading — season one, episode nine

Ned Stark’s beheading at the end of season 1 was the first time fans — and many cast members — realized that not even main characters were safe from death. His beheading also started many of the characters’ arcs for the next few seasons as well as solidified the deep hatred between the Lannisters and the Starks.

4. Jaime’s hot tub confession — season three, episode five

Jaime Lannister has proved probably one of series’ most complex and transformed characters, and his confession to Brienne of what really happened when he killed the Mad King greatly added to his depth. He didn’t kill the king because he was evil or power hungry but rather to save his family and the city — but no one ever knew.

3. Hold the door — season six, episode five

The sequence revealing how Hodor became unable to speak more than his name was gut-wrenching, killing one of the series most lovable characters. It also showed viewers the extent of Bran Stark’s powers. He can not only see backward and forward in time, but he can also affect the past when he travels there. It is worth noting Bran didn’t seem to change the past, though, because what happened to Hodor had already happened. He more or less completed history.

2. JonSnow's parentage reveal — season six, episode ten

The season six reveal that Jon was the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen was the affirmation of about two decades of fan theorizing, but it left a lot of questions still to be answered. How will Jon find out? Will anyone believe it? Does this make Jon the heir to the Iron Throne? Does it even matter at this point?

1. The Red Wedding — season three, episode nine

When the song "The Rains of Castamere" began playing after Lord Walder Frey's daughter and Edmure Tully's wedding ceremony, viewers knew something bad was going to happen. Just as Catelyn Stark, Lady of Winterfell, realizes she’s been betrayed by Frey’s men, so do we, and before it’s too late, we see all of King in the North Robb Stark’s men massacred. No one really expected three major characters — Robb, Catelyn and Talisa Stark, pregnant with Robb’s child — to die. Certainly no one expected them all to die at once.