news   |   student life

IU to observe Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month in April

caheritage032619

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month is celebrated in April at IU and is nationally celebrated in May. This allows students and community members to take part in events and activities organized for the celebration before the semester ends. Photo illustration by Ty Vinson Buy Photos

IU will honor Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month throughout April. Though the heritage celebration is observed nationally in May, organizing it in April allows students to experience it during the school year.

Many events will be organized or supported by IU’s Asian Culture Center. Celebrations will focus on the year’s theme of “Building and Empowering Underrepresented Communities.” These events will give people the opportunity to learn about Asian-American and Pacific Islander histories and cultures, according to an IU press release.

These communities’ contributions to IU will also be highlighted.

The Maurer School of Law is organizing a panel discussion on affirmative action at noon March 28 at the Maurer School of Law as a part of the month’s programming. The panelists will focus on a Harvard University admissions lawsuit which alleges Asian Americans are negatively affected by the policy.

Two films by Cambodian-American filmmaker Caylee So will be screened 7 p.m. March 30 at the IU Cinema.

“I encourage our entire community to participate in these celebrations as we fully embrace the Asian-American and Pacific Islander communities at Indiana University,” said James Wimbush vice president of Diversity, Equity and Multicultural affairs, in a press release.

More in News